Saturday 8 September 2012

Simple infinite canvas

Just for a laff I coded up an 'infinite canvas' thing in JavaFX.

In the back of my mind I have the idea of making a JavaFX version of ImageZ ... but I'm also not sure I could be bothered going the whole hog. Although i could dump much of the code (although no more float support), there's still a lot of crap to deal with implementing basic features like undo.

This runs faster with the CPU renderer than with the GPU one. Drawing is about the same, but if you end up with a scene with many tiles created, the CPU pans faster ... which isn't what you'd expect. It can easily gobble up the whole heap if you create some gigantic image by zooming out a long way.

I didn't originally intend to, but since it was there I also copied the applet + webstarter to the site as well. The main reason is i've not yet had any such JavaFX applets work - but since this one did, there it is. One might need the very latest JRE for it to work (1.7.0-7). Update: I couldn't get it to work on my laptop, but that might be an old firefox - it ran fine from the jar.

I also started a new sub-project `fxperimentz' in MediaZ to chuck these experiments.

Update: Oh, i forgot to check the source in, it's there now.

No comments: